Sunday, December 2, 2012

Much Sorrow In Itself My Love Doth Move

More my despair to love a hopeless bliss.

British producer Sorrow is a sentimentalist - strikingly so. He writes on his Soundcloud page, "to anyone who ever slandered or disrespected me, I forgive you." And his music captivates, it envelopes. With a title that could be an Al Green song, "Girl I Miss You" is like sonar, mapping an underwater emotional landscape. "My Love" is the love of Greco-Roman epic, a soundtrack to Venus and Adonis, Dido and Aeneas. The echoing vocals, barely audible above the shuffling beat, are the timeless cry of nostalgia for a place one hasn't left. The preview for the soon-to-be-released "2 Much Gassin'," reveals a strong influence of earlier instrumental acts like Flying Lotus and Prefuse 73, speaking to Sorrow's diversity as a producer. 

Check out Sorrow's Art Is Dead EP on Bandcamp. This is music for the yellow dawn of a Sunday on the electric Mississippi. We hope you enjoy.