Thursday, April 4, 2013

Laying in the Austin Grass: Tiger Waves


I've only been to Austin once, and for less than 48 hours. I had experienced, the day before, a two hour delay in the Dallas/Fort Worth airport, which necessarily transformed my perspective into that of a caged animal.

It's a shame, then, that my 2011 visit left no opportunity to see the Austin in the way that James Marshall of Tiger Waves sees the city. He formed the band in early 2011 with Chicagoan Reid Comstock, who moved down to the second-largest state after months of collaboration. I want to see the Austin of arpeggios over soft snare drums, of soft-spoken lyrics for a late spring afternoon. I'll go back someday - just a day and a half's drive south. For now, I get a glimpse through Tiger Waves "A Smirk and a Smile."